Eye Makeup for Older Women – Still Got It!
Let’s get one thing straight. All of my older Beauty CEOs are just like wine, sweet, sophisticated, better with time! And I have your back. I want to share some tips and tricks to help you flawlessly execute eyeshadow looks like a Boss.
Eye makeup for older women…why? Because you still got it!
Now that I have gotten that off of my chest, let’s get down to business. One of the secrets to keeping your youth is to keep a positive attitude. Age is nothing but a number.
Anything you want to do and any look you want to wear is doable. All you have to do is get the right tools, the right products, and then remember to take the time, to take care of You!
As we mature we tend to forget about our own needs and focus more and more on others. Now I’m not suggesting that you neglect the needs of your family and friends. What I am saying is that if you don’t take a little time to care for your own beauty and health, there won’t be much left to go around.
So I hope you take some of these tips and use them to bring and keep some fun in your life. Look as young as you feel and Shine!
Tools of the Trade
It’s checklist time! There are just a few things that we need to gather.
- Eyeshadow brushes of different sizes and shapes (buying these in sets is great because it’s less expensive than buying them individually.)
- A good eyeshadow primer
- Eye cream (I’ll elaborate on that later)
- Eye liner
- Eyelash glue
- Faux eyelashes
- Eyelash applicator (looks like some fancy tweezers)
- Makeup wipe – My must have for every makeup session
- And a mirror with one side that lights up and magnifies
Looks like a long list huh? Just remember that most of these items you either already have, or when you get them, they last a long time. That’s what I tell my husband too when he sees the bill.
And a couple of these items never need renewing, unless you break or loose them of course lol.
Friend or Foe?
We all know that what may work wonders for one woman may make for a complete makeup disaster for another. We are all different shapes, sizes, shades, of ages and phases.
And as we mature, the needs of our skin changes. Thus, we need to constantly be in tune with our bodies and skin so that we know what it needs and what kinds of products nurture our skin and highlight our best features.
We will also be able to camouflage our least favorable features. Here are a few notes to make.
- Friend – Cream eyeshadow. As we mature our skin sometimes becomes dry and looses elasticity. So cream eyeshadow is great because it’s rich creamy texture is moist and won’t crease after it sets.
- This benefit also makes it a great base or primer substitute for powder eyeshadow. Careful though. While you can apply a powder eyeshadow on top of a cream eyeshadow, you cannot do the opposite. Putting a cream eyeshadow on top of a powder eyeshadow will result in a clumpy mess.
- So remember…. Cream before powder, beautiful flower. Powder before cream, dare to dream. Bad rhyme? Well I tried lol. I’ll try to keep my day job.
- Another benefit of cream eyeshadow is that it is easy to blend into very delicate skin.
- Cream eyeshadows are not highly pigmented so they are perfect for a softer, natural, subtle look.
- Foe – Cheap, dry, eyeliner. This is not only a foe to mature skin, but I don’t recommend that anyone skimp on the investment in a soft, creamy eyeliner.
- A cheap eyeliner will be hard to apply and make you have to press way too hard on your eye and pull and tug on this sensitive skin. Sure it may not seem to do any lasting damage on the first application or two, but over time, this can expedite the wrinkling and sagging of the skin on your eyelids.
- Plus, it will be hard to achieve your intended flawless look if you have to fight with your eyeliner to come off on your skin with ease. So get a good one.
- Friend – A Matte eyeshadow. An eyeshadow that has a lot of shimmer or glitter to it will highlight the imperfections and creases that you are trying to hide.
- A little shimmer is OK, but matte eyeshadows are the best.
- Friend – Fake/Faux eyelashes. “Additional” eyelashes always accentuate any eyes. Even if you have long luscious eyelashes naturally, when you are trying to step it up a notch, faux eyelashes with take your look above and beyond and they will definitely downplay any imperfections.
True, if you have never played around with these before, this could seem like a daunting task. But remember. Making ourselves up should be just as fun in our yonder years as it was when we played dress up as kids. So don’t shutter at the thought of learning how to apply eyelashes.
With a little practice you will be unstoppable. And. If you just can’t master it, there are always professionals that can do it for you and they will last as long as they recommend it. Try it! What do you have to lose?
Daily Prep All for One and One for All
Moisturize moisturize…..moisturize. The biggest mistake that we make is ignoring our bodies until we see something we don’t like.
Everyone should moisturize young or seasoned.
And this is especially important when we are at a phase in our life when our skin is craving moisture, as we get older. One thing that is important to understand is that moisture does not mean oil.
So I want to recommend two things; An “oil free” moisturizer is a must. This will give your skin a healthy glow, vitamins, and the moisture it needs without making your skin feel greasy or clogging your pores. Another must have that is just as important as the moisturizer is eye cream.
Eye creams are specially formulated to nurture and revitalize your delicate eyelids. Making application of these two things a part of your daily routine will make sure that you get the smoothest, healthiest canvas possible to achieve the eye makeup look you want.
Nothing to it but to Do It!
OK Ladies. We know what we need, now let’s put our brushes where our eyes are. Some tips.
- If you choose not to use a cream eyeshadow, make sure you use a primer before you apply the eyeshadow of your choice.
- Whatever eyeshadow you decide on, apply a darker color from your lash line outward to camouflage imperfections.
- Arch your eyebrows and apply a little tint to it. The better groomed your eyebrows are, the less work you will have to do with your eyeshadow. Your eyebrows set the stage for the rest of your makeup and are the framework of your face. I’ll be elaborating on that subject in another post soon.
- Don’t forget to apply some mascara. There are many to choose from. Just make sure that you choose one that is reputable so that you don’t end up with clumpy eyelashes. A smooth application that lengthens and adds volume will make a huge difference in your eyeshadow look, whether you decide to apply faux lashes or not.
Move Aside Youngsters
We are all beautiful, inside and out. Don’t ever let anyone ever tell you something different. Don’t let anything or anyone keep you from going for what you want in life.
You still got it!
Take these tips and add them to your repertoire and show everyone what you are made of. Keep in tune with your body and use the products that compliment your needs and skin.
Don’t be afraid to try something new. Give your skin what it needs and it will do you justice.